[thelist] Phoenix Club and Web Designers...

Richard H. Morris richard.morris at web-designers.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 12:07:54 CST 2002

Steve Cook [steve.cook at evitbe.com] wrote:

> [...]

Looking at the offline copies, we now have 25 different instances plus
there were a few that we hit before we started copying the sites to PDF.

> I just don't get what's *so* attractive about your design
> that so many people have to rip it off. (Not that I'm
> criticising the design - just why people feel the need to rip
> it off so blatantly!!).

I wish I knew!

As you say, it's not *that* wonderful.

> It *did* give me a laugh though. Have you ever considered
> putting a comment along the lines of "Warning: 5 companies
> have ripped off this code earlier and we have tracked down
> and ridiculed each and every one of them. Please do not reuse
> this code without permission!" in the source code??

Now there's a thought: mind you, you have copyright in that comment,
don't you ~:0)

<tip type="copyright" author="Richard Morris>
It's always worth considering adding 'fingerprints' to your web sites to
track down those who rip it off later.
Try adding key phrases or even third party cookies or commenting in your
code.
</tip>

Richard. H. Morris, Web Designers Limited
~~ http://www.web-designers.co.uk ~~
"I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me
          than a full frontal lobotomy"