[thelist] MySQL through MS Access?

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Jan 14 13:18:43 CST 2002

At 11:08 AM 1/14/2002, .jeff wrote:

>i do have a ms sql server project i could use this information for though.
>(spill it already)

You can connect Access and MS SQL via ODBC and the "remote table" setup
from within Access. It fools access into thinking the remote tables are
local. It best used as a report writer using a login that only has read access.

We had a client managing their members database this way, but after a year
of pain and anguish we got them to foot the development bill for a web
interface to the DB. Many mistakes were eliminated and we were able to
control the amount of potential damage they could do.

The amount of time ($$) to correctly setup Access to talk to MS SQL,
including screens and post setup support, is the same as writing the web
tool, or more. IMvHO.

>hey, watch your mouth.  ;p

hehehehe.

OK so I'm a little too ASP centric when it comes to Windows. My penance is
that we just picked up a new client that had their whole site done in
ColdFusion. Which I now have to learn in order to support them. Happy? ;-)
----
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys