[thelist] Form CSS styles

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Tue Jan 15 15:06:06 CST 2002

Judah --

Just a couple of things to add to aardvark's post:

styling:

* I haven't found a way yet to style the "Browse" button on an
<input type="file"> tag. The text field responds to any formatting you
apply to the inputs, but the button seems to be of its own mind, even up
to IE 6 and Netscape 6. So if it's important to you that all your
buttons look the same, bear that in mind.

* All browsers seem to have problems applying style widths to <input
type="selects">.

usability:

I haven't found any real usability issues with simple changes like
background color. In fact, in one of our applications we've colored one
submit yellow with red text to save a document for later work and
another submit green with black text to publish the document to the
intranet.

I've never tried some of the fanciness in aardvark's button style,
though, but I think if you're consistent across the site, people can
learn new button styles as easily as they can learn images as buttons.

David

aardvark wrote:

>>From: Judah McAuley <judah at wiredotter.com>
>>
>>I'm looking for examples of nice form styling using CSS.
>>
> [...]
[...](saved for reference above - D)