[thelist] A question of <div>s [newbie]

Dan C danwsb at home.com
Tue Jan 15 20:04:28 CST 2002

I'll keep this short and sweet. I'm a newbie to using divs for layout over
tables, and it has been more than a year since I have actively worked on a
webpage. I've suddenly been inspired to revive my personal page, and am
attempting to make it completely conform to W3C recs (the CSS currently
validates with no warnings, the page validates to XHTML strict).

I have a problem, however, with my main content div [ http://neoflux.net/ ],
which is nested in another div. The content div extends below the bottom of
it's containing div (which I like, stylisticly). However, with my skills I
have been unable to figure out how to place an item reliably below the
bottom of the extending div. It seems that only the bottom of the containing
div counts when placing things outside the div, and text gets sucked up to
the outside right edge of the page.

So, oh great evolt list, help a newbie in need?

Many thanks,
-Dan C

Additionally, if you notice anything horribly wrong, or that could be
improved by orders of magnitude, please point them out.