[thelist] Help with SQL/CF

Frank framar at interlog.com
Tue Jan 15 21:41:31 CST 2002

>  So that's what I'm doing. But now where do I begin?
>  First off, is there a way in Cold Fusion to create a
>  database? Or do I have to do this manually? If so, how
>  do I set this up manually in SQL?

As for the database stuff, I'll leave that up to Rudy, king of the
databases. Here's what I can offer as a method to start.

First, get really clear on what the site will do. Here's a top line
that will work in 99.9% of all cases.

User Readable Side: Search, List, View.

Admin side: Search, List, View/Edit, Add, Delete.

User Editable Side: ...? [Any of the above]

These are the most basic verbs that will determine a lot of what your
app is about.

Next question is what is my site supposed to do? One the user side,
your app is meant to make information available.

Now it's time for the nouns: What information? And how do you organize it?

Make a list of all the information that you have. Now it's time to
think of database structure. You will want to break up your data into
tables, then columns. Again, I'll bet Rudy can give you the best
database primer URIs.

Once you have your database set up, tested, etc... you will want to
start adding your data. Your administrative side will be based on the
structure of your database, and the functions you need to accomplish.

Create the scripts to add new records. Then create scripts to edit
those records. Then create the scripts to search for them, and select
them as a group or/then individual records.

Now write your security routines. Password protection, cookies,
session and app variables etc...

Now that you have the basic functions in place, go though it, add
your error prevention, and checking, first server side, then client
side.

Now make it look good. I use the TemplateTop/TemplateBottom method to
wrap my apps in HTML/CSS. Ensure that your app is written using, and
generates w3c compliant code.

Repeat the above for the client side. If you have a members only side
that is neither admin nor general public, do it for that as well.

This is the top line of my own personal system. I've found this to be
the most time and cost effective for myself whether I'm programming
as an individual, or working as part of a team. It also allows for a
great degree of application reusability.

The biggest key to your success will be the degree to which you can
intelligently break up all the elements of your app/db/html/css.
Break them up as small and as reusable as necessary, but no smaller.
Only experience will help you draw the lines and make the
distinctions.

Hope this helps.

--

Our best destiny, as planetary cohabitants, is the development
of what has been called "species consciousness" - something over

Frank Marion                      Framar Studios
frank at framarstudios.com           http://www.framarstudios.com