[thelist] CSS: IE vs. Mozilla

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 16 03:28:07 CST 2002

>I spent a lot of time to get the following URL to look fantastic in IE
>6.0, only to have my bubble violently burst by Mozilla 0.9.7.
>
>http://www.michaelbuffington.com/css.html
>
>Up until this project I've been pretty successful in having Mozilla
>display identically to IE, but this time it seems Mozilla has done
>everything it can to interpret my CSS entirely differently.
>
>I'm looking for reasons as to why there is such a huge difference, and
>when all is said and done, I'm looking for a way to use CSS with <DIV>s
>to accomplish what IE displays so nicely.
>
>One thing I've noticed is that when I remove display:inline; from the
>columns, Mozilla begins obeying the width specifications. Obviously I
>need to display:inline;, so that's not a good solution, but it is
>interesting.

In fact it's the reason why it doesn't work in Mozilla. The element is not a
block, so it shouldn't have width, height or borders, it should just fit the
content. IE5.0 has the same, BTW, so I assume there your CSS doesn't work
either.

What you're trying to do is much better done by an old-fashioned table. I
understand that you're trying to get away from it but this is one of the few
cases where it's still useful. After are, you *are* presenting tabular data.

Another solution would be to use display: table, table-row and table-cell
but these are badly supported.

In short: I think you're using the wrong display for this specific task.

ppk