[thelist] The URL SemiColon Exploit

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Wed Jan 16 12:33:01 CST 2002

Dan Slater wrote:

> In case you didn't know, there's a way to pass any SQL Server command via
> the URL by simply adding a semicolon at the end of the address, followed
by
> the SQL command.  Apparently it only works if you pass a URL parameter
> first. (example:  mysite.com?thisVar=True)

Another option (in addition to the advice you've been given) since you're
using ColdFusion is to use cfqueryparam, which I believe is supposed to
prevent the semicolon exploit.

So, instead of this:

SELECT
    item
FROM
    tableName
WHERE
    item_id = #item_id#

You'd do this (assuming item_id is an integer in this case):

SELECT
    item
FROM
    tableName
WHERE
    item_id = <cfqueryparam value="#item_id#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER">

That should be compatible with Oracle, SQL Server, and Access 2000 (based on
my experience).

Scott

Scott Brady
http://www.scottbrady.net/