[thelist] [Java] Date validation

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Wed Jan 16 18:33:34 CST 2002

Howard Cheng wrote:

> I'm trying to do some date validation in Java (JSP) and it's just not doing
> what the manual says it should do, so perhaps someone here has an answer.

> public boolean CheckDate(int month, int day, int year)
> {   java.util.GregorianCalendar gcDate = new java.util.GregorianCalendar();
>      gcDate.clear();
>      gcDate.setLenient(false);
>      try {
>          gcDate.set(year, month, day);

/* add the following line */

	   gcDate.getTime();

>      } catch (Exception e) {
>          return false;
>      }
>      return true;
> }

> But my function always returns true. Any ideas?

<excerpt src="Java 1.3 Calendar class page">

Calendar fields can be changed using three methods: set(), add(),
and roll().

set(f, value) changes field f to value. In addition, it sets an
internal member variable to indicate that field f has been changed.

Although field f is changed immediately, the calendar's milliseconds
is not recomputed until the next call to get(), getTime(), or
getTimeInMillis() is made.

</excerpt>

HTH!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --