@import hack (was Re: [thelist] Form CSS styles)

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Thu Jan 17 07:05:21 CST 2002

Lachlan Cannon <tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Am I the only one who's found that when you use Tantek
> Celik's IE5/5.5 parser hack, that Netscape 4 chokes on the
> stylesheet and doesn't use that stylesheet at all?

Indeed. That is, no, you're not.

Any use of \-backslashes in properties or selectors - even in rules that
don't get used - seems to make N4 ignore the sheet. I haven't yet found
a way around this.

> I've taken to doing this for my stylesheets, and using a
> bsic one for NS4, since IMHO @import looks very ugly.

Me too. I dislike embedding any other language in HTML, so just using a
no  putting this at
the end of the sheet appeals to me:

  /* Netscape 4, please ignore everything I just said */
  #n4 { displa\y: inherit; }

(no id="n4" element needed in the HTML). This has the disadvantage that
users have to download a stylesheet they will never use, but on
the other hand, it's Netscape 4, so screw 'em. ;-)

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://and.doxdesk.com/