[thelist] XML XSLT and url outputting

Ray Hill lists at prydain.com
Thu Jan 17 11:02:26 CST 2002

I beleieve what you're looking for is the <xsl:attribute> tag.  It's
been a while and I don't have a book to check the syntax, but it
should look something like this:

  <xsl:template match="event">
    <a>
      <xsl:attribute name="href">
        <xsl:value-of select="@url"/>
      </xsl:attribute>
      <xsl:value-of select="."/>
    </a>
  </xsl:template>

Basically, you make the <xsl:attribute> tag a child of the tag you
want the attribute applied to, and name the attribute in the opening
tag.  Then, anything you put betweeen the opening and closing
<xsl:attribute> tags will show up as the value of the attribute.  So
you could also do it as follows, if you wanted to print a mailto link:

  <xsl:template match="event">
    <a>
      <xsl:attribute name="href">
        <xsl:text>mailto:</xsl:text>