[thelist] session and/or cookie persistence across an ssl and non-ssl connection

Chris Blessing webguy at mail.rit.edu
Thu Jan 17 16:41:19 CST 2002

Scott-

Let me rephrase that.  I do know how to install a cert, and I know how to
configure a website for the cert.  My question is this: is the only way
around having 2 separate sites, to invoke SSL (but not *require* it) on the
main non-ssl site, and then use ssl when necessary for certain pages and
directories?

A scenario might be this:

User goes to http://foo.com/blah.html
User clicks on "order" button
User goes to https://foo.com/order/blah.asp

But with this setup, the user could effectively browse the entire website
using SSL, which from a performance and usability standpoint is not that
great of an idea (especially to our server admins).

Am I screwed or am I screwed? =)

Chris Blessing
webguy at mail.rit.edu
http://www.330i.net