[thelist] employment question

Roger Newbrook roger.newbrook at kmsoftware.com
Fri Jan 18 07:18:22 CST 2002

peter wrote: "I've been thinking: I'd love to do a bit of teaching for a
while."

Universities generally tend to have visiting speakers and LOVE industry
(real world) experience. It may be worth checking out courses offered near
you approaching your local university(ies) to offer your expertise as a
visiting lecturer (perhaps with a sample course outline outlining its
relevance to students at a particular level, this has worked for several
friends of mine, but in humanities not IT). while relevant qualifications
are important, having to have a degree in HCI may be outweighed by personal
experience.

I think there's probably more call for your skills within the education
sector than private training courses (but i could be wrong).

Teaching is often seen as an altruistic way to "give something back", but
internal politicing (?sp) at universities (in the UK anyway) can be as much
of a  minefield as industry.

hth

roger