[thelist] employment question

C Williams seahorse at inreach.com
Fri Jan 18 08:34:59 CST 2002

I think the market for this would be very well received in the junior
college enviroment, and here in Calif, you can be considered to teach a
class if you write up a proposal for the class, outline, content you will
cover, how long you would like the course to be and submit it to the
college.  If it looks promising, they will put it on the adult/extra course
list, and depending on the response, you may be busy for a long time.  And
you may be invited to do more classes.  And you may become a permanent
faculty member.

I know our local JC has really expanded their curriculum and there are a lot
of people interested in quality classes.  I think a JC is a really go way to
step in to this, especially since you can do a one day 'intro' class, just
to test the waters with little risk, and to find out if it fits you as well.
The requirements for teaching at a JC are generally tied to subject
knowledge and a college degree.

High schools have classes like this as well, and I think there will always
be a need for good teachers.

The wages may not buy you a palace, but you will have the peace of knowing
many benefited from your willingness to share, and will go on to make the
world a better place.  ( is that too sappy? c;) And then you will find those
students who go on, finding the subject matter is too difficult, but the
remember you and call you for the side jobs......

I say, 'go for it' if you are adept at teaching.

Chris