[thelist] job support mailing list

Peter peter at poorbuthappy.com
Fri Jan 18 15:58:54 CST 2002

Hi all,
(sorry for the cross posting! I laced this one with tips just to make sure)
I have just set up a mailing list for supporting each other when looking
for a job in this tough market.

Job postings are NOT allowed, it's all about reviewing each others
portfolios and resumes and sharing tips. "Sharing tips?", you may think,
"nobody is THAT altruistic!". But take me for example, I don't mind sharing
tips about the London market, coz I'm looking in NY. So I'm sure there is a
lot we can help each other with.

The reason I won't allow job postings on the list is that I want a
supportive list, not a competitive one. There are plenty of lists where job
postings can be made.

If you want to, you can join here:
The list will be fairly strictly moderated (more strict than most lists),
only supportive emails are allowed.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but we'll soon find out I hope. Let me
know if you have any suggestions.

Peter Van Dijck
http://petervandijck.net

<tip>
Your portfolio's function is to make you stand out of the huge amount of
resumes a recruiter gets and get you the interview. Your resumes' function
is to pass that first test to see if you are suitable for the job.
</tip>
<tip>
For a good, customizable and free log analysis program, try webalizer. It
exports your logs to a webpage.
</tip>
<tip>
Looking to study some cutting edge metadata standard in XML? Try topicmaps.org
</tip>
<tip>
When looking for a job, I've found the monster job forums surprisingly
informative.
</tip>