[thelist] tables-to-CSS (was: no subject)

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Fri Jan 18 17:34:38 CST 2002

D.Bruce Saurer <g1notami at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> the difference in font size between ie6 and moz9.6.

I don't see the small text from the screenshot in Moz 0.9.7. Are you sure
you haven't simply got a smaller-than-default font size in your
preferences?

> padding in the inner <divs>seems to be compounded in moz and opera

If you mean the extra grey space above and below elements, this is actually
due to margins on the <heading> and <p> elements. The collapsing rules for
top- and bottom- margins when you have nested elements are really stupid,
and best avoided by setting zero margins on side of elements which touch
the top and bottom of their parents.

> ie doesn't seem to recognize "heigth:100%;" in #sidebar but moz and opera do

Indeed. This seems to be a bug in IE6, it should be taking 100% as 100%
of the viewport height as none of sidebar's parents are positioned. A dodgy
workaround is to explicitly set 'body { height: 100%; }'. Interestingly
Quirks mode gets it right! (sobs)

This probably isn't what you want though anyway - look what happens when
you scroll the window downwards.

> is it possible to have the background color for the links span the width of
> the #sidebar div

> and/or increase the vertical space without affecting font size?

Yes, line-height - you're using it already. Alternatively, margin-top
and margin-bottom.

> http://www.notami.com/test/coltest.html

a few errors here: it includes XHTML-style <element /> tags, but is
declared as HTML 4. Also <br clear> is not part of HTML 4 Strict - you
may want to use a div with 'clear: both' CSS instead. Also -

  <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="#" media="screen">

What's that for? It uses itself as a stylesheet?!

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://and.doxdesk.com/