[thelist] http://www.webskeleton.com - site review for all browsers

Lachlan Cannon tiedefenderdelta6 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 21:12:17 CST 2002

--- Aleem <aleem at mindless.com> wrote:
> Quite honestly, the sites in the portfolio are not on the
> web, well
> except for maybe 1 or 2. All the others run locally on my
> machine... so
> I guess I should link them to a local copy of the site,
> but I am afraid
> the links might go down if my computer goes down and I
> can't afford a
> web host at the moment. In this case, would a couple of
> screen shots
> suffice for eac site or I do I really need to consider
> getting a web
> host with DB support ?

What are you running webskeleton itself on? Why not run it
on that?

> > There's a 1x1 px image, and yet it's alt is
> -------------?
>
> This is strictly for lynx, I found it's an easy way to
> output text to
> text-based browsers. Why I even bother with lynx ? I wish
> I knew where I
> get the urge to...

I wonder what that would sound like on a screenreader
though... I find it's best to use alt as it's intended, as
an alternative for the image..
> I should've asked before I started the project but... if
> you were a
> client from a small to mid-range company... would you
> prefer a
> professional website or a site profiling a single
> developer with a
> portfolio etc... like I find most other developers have
> on this list and
> that is why I ask in the first place.

It depends what you're looking for... I'd say for most
small businesses a single developer might be more
attractive.. but of course it will vary immensely.

> Visually, how does the site look and what were your first
> impressions ?
> I have been working at it for a while and am completely
> unable to judge.
> My housemate (doesn't do webdesign or too much browsing
> even) gave it a
> 6/10 and it got me worried...

Well my very first impression was that the title was too
long ;)
Hmm.. the site looks nice and clean, except for the header
area.. once again, I humbly suggest redoing the logo (which
you already said you'd do), increasing the text size, and
losing the greyish background thing - it distracts from the
page, and as I said before looks quite ugly in the wrong
skin..

> thanks,
> -aleem

Happy to help!