[thelist] Automated PDFs of web pages

Moe Rubenzahl moe at maxim-ic.com
Mon Jan 21 18:51:16 CST 2002

I would like to be able to generate PDFs of select web pages on my
site and I need an automated way to generate them. As an example: A
page might have a View As PDF link which would bring up the same page
as a PDF; or an E-Mail This Page as PDF, which would e-mail the PDF.

I can think of ways to do this using a script and a Mac or PC
workstation -- a script goes to the page, Acrobats the page, and FTPs
the file to the server. This script would run nightly, which is often
enough. Would work but kind of messy.

Other ideas? Any server-level product that does this? Any clever
ideas? (My servers are Solaris, if that matters, but I do have one NT
server.)