[thelist] AOL wants to buy RH Linux??

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Tue Jan 22 11:33:23 CST 2002

On 21 Jan 2002 at 20:37, Lachlan Cannon posted a message which said:

> > And can an MSN user switch operating systems? No. In any
> > case, how is
> > AOL on Linux on a PC any different than AOL on Linux on
> > an AOLTV?

> The fact that they could force the O/S on their users?
> Consumers ahve the right to choose, and this is removing
> their choice. I'm sure you wouldn't be happy if you went to
> the local supermarket, and wanted to buy potatos, but they
> forced you to buy a turnip for every potato you bought...
> and there was no where else you could buy it from. Or if
> you wanted to change the carpet in one room in your house,
> and when you paid the company to do that, they changed
> every curtain in your house.

Hmmm. You can't get MSN dialup service if you are running Windows 3.1
or Windows NT, or a Macintosh, or a Sun workstation, or a linux box.

Maybe you could stop by my local supermarket, too, and tell them that
they can't force people to buy Kraft macaroni in order to get those
little packets of cheese powder, and they can't force people to buy
Campbells' beans in order to get the pork in those cans.  They're so
ancient that they want you to buy an entire two-liter of Pepsi, even if
you only want a little swig....

deke

--------
We are the parents our people warned us about....