[thelist] Search Engines and Flash

Shirley Kaiser, SKDesigns skaiser1 at skdesigns.com
Wed Jan 23 13:01:51 CST 2002

At 09:41 AM 01/23/2002, Janet Green typed:
>I'm wondering how the use of an opening Flash animation page (or, more
>specifically, Flash-style animations made with a program called Swish)
>impacts a site's placement in search engine results. What design
>considerations must be given to an opening animation page to retain search
>engine placement? What strategies can we use to overcome some of the
>obstacles a Flash page creates? Thanks!

Hi,

I don't know much about the specifics of Swish, but there's a brand new
tutorial on usability, accessibility with Flash at Digital Web:

Flash Usability, by Meryl Evans
http://www.digital-web.com/tutorials/tutorial_2002-01.shtml

I also wrote a tutorial for Digital Web last spring about designing for
search engines that includes some information about Flash, too:

Designing for Search Engines and Stars
<http://www.digital-web.com/tutorials/tutorial_2001-4.shtml>

I haven't been to the Swish site, but I wonder if there's more info there
to help answer your question, too. Maybe not... maybe you already checked?

Warmly,
Shirley

--
Shirley E. Kaiser, M.A.