[thelist] Browser Sniffing

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Wed Jan 23 13:42:40 CST 2002

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Bill Bejeck wrote:

> On my web site, I use "browser sniffing" code (in JavaScript) to direct
> users depending on browser type and version. Instead of redirection, I would
> like to download the appropriate JS  and CSS files after detecting the
> browser version and type, and keep the user at the main index page.  If this
> possible can anyone suggest where I could find some hints as to how to write
> the code?

Brute force, backwards-compatible:

if (is_supported_client) {
  document.write(// appropriate HTML here //) }

W3C DOM:

if (is_supported_client) {
  DocHead = document.getElementsByTagName("HEAD");
  ExternalFile = createElement("SCRIPT");
  ExternalFile.attributes.type = "text/javascript";
  ExternalFile.attributes.src = "your_js_file.js";
  DocHead.appendChild(ExternalFile); }

When dealing with a stylesheet, you would create a LINK tag, and reference
attributes appropriate to it, instead.

HTH
--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."