[thelist] SEO for Flash

Paul J White pjw at bw3.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 03:14:54 CST 2002

>I'm wondering how the use of an opening Flash animation page (or, more
>specifically, Flash-style animations made with a program called Swish)
>impacts a site's placement in search engine results.

Swish outputs to Macromedia's .swf format, so the considerations for SEO are
the same. It is always a good idea to run a plain html version alongside,
both for SE placement and for those (like myself and many others) who would
rather get straight to the facts, rather than wait for a movie to download -
there are of course still 5% or so without the flash plugin, so if you're
designing to take into account the Netscape minority, which most of us still
have to, you should also give these consideration.
BTW Swish is a superb product, in v.2 it is capable of 90% of what Flash can
do (ie more than most of us would use) and only cost about $30 (that's Oz
not US but to us Brits it works out about the same ;-)

HTH, Paul.

Paul J White
WWW.BW3.CO.UK
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.