[thelist] Getting .rm file properties with PHP

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Thu Jan 24 07:34:38 CST 2002

Bill Haenel <bill at ncpr.org> wrote:

> Anyone know if there's a way to get the length of a .rm RealAudio file using
> PHP? Similar, maybe to GetImageSize(), but for RA...?

Assuming you don't simply mean file length-in-bytes (which would be easy),
this could be somewhat tricky.

I'm not a PHP user myself, but I doubt there is an native way of doing this.
Real's file formats are obscure and AFAIK unreadable by any software other
than Real's own.

If the server your code will be running on is Windows-based and has RealPlayer
installed, you could instantiate a RealPlayer ActiveX control, load the file
in question into it, and use the getLength method to find the length. see -

  http://service.real.com/help/library/guides/extend/embed.htm
  http://service.real.com/help/library/guides/extend/htmfiles/appa_met.htm#53488

it might also be possible to do something with the RealSystem SDK -

  http://proforma.real.com/rnforms/resources/server/realsystemsdk/index.html

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com