[thelist] CGI script and CHMOD

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Fri Jan 25 10:10:00 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon F. Malone" <sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com>
Subject: [thelist] CGI script and CHMOD

Questions:
1. Will this work on both a UNIX and a Windows2000 server?

Probably, although they will use different programs for their mail
functions and the script needs to be written to handle both I think (not
a CGI expert). I think this script was written for a Unix machine only.
See SendMail location.

2. I'm stumped about the $sendmail location which reads
"/usr/sbin/sendmail". Does that mean I have to create a directory or
subdirectory called /usr/sbin/sendmail and, if so, where do I place it
in the directory hierarchy? Do I create a subdirectory called "usr"
under the CGI-bin directory?

No need to create your own directory. That's where the info that was
processed from the form/page gets sent to - the email software on that
server. It's not part of the section of space they have for your site,
but is a directory already on the server that is using SendMail. The
server admin will be able to tell you the correct file path to their
SendMail program. Also ask them to confirm that the "shebang" (first)
line that is included with your script is correct for their server,
usually it's something like: #!/usr/bin/perl

3. The instructions tell me to upload the script to my cgi-bin and chmod
it to 755.  I haven't the foggiest idea what they're talking about. What
is "chmod?" How and what do I do to accomplish this? And what does 755
mean?

CHMOD is an acronym that is related to setting permissions for
read/write and other attributes to a file on a Unix server. Different
numbers for each of course. 755 and 777 are common ones. A quick
tutorial:
http://www.spaceports.com/~scifi/chmodtutor.html
 The server admin is usually the only one that is allowed to set
permissions, but it depends on what type of account you have with your
host also. That particular tutorial will show you what to do if your
host allows you to set permissions and you happen to be using WS_ftp.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sharon

HTH!

Mark Groen