[thelist] Copywrite question.....

Jason Lustig lustig at acsu.buffalo.edu
Sun Jan 27 15:02:00 CST 2002

>She is now threatening to get attorneys involved if we allow a post on our
>board that has appeared in her newsletter.  Am I in the wrong here
>or is she?

I don't claim to be a lawyer (I'm not by any stretch), but I work as a
moderator at a message board where we deal with this type of stuff (people
reposting content from other sites) -- not pay sites, but it's the same type
of thing nonetheless. What happens is that if someone reposts content, the
other webmaster simply points it out to us and we get rid of it.

I don't know how the law works, but you could propose that solution to
her... if you have some sort of disclaimer up there that you are not
responsible or hold any liability for any content that your users post, then
you should be fine... I'm not a lawyer though, so don't take my word for it,
and don't quote me on this.

Hope that helps...

--Jason