[thelist] Newbie dns question

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Mon Jan 28 08:11:01 CST 2002

> Can some one tell me is a dns name the same as change ip ?
No, it's not. Name servers associate domain names with IP addresses.

They are like the phone book. You tell it a name (mydomain.com), and it
sends you to the number (234.123.123.123). When you change DNS (name
servers) you change which phonebook is *the* authoratative phonebook for
that domain (always has your correct number). When you change IP's you are
changing your phone number.

> One of my clients has a .de domain registered with register.com and he
> changed the ip address as there was no option to change the dns as with
> .com names.  It is still showing register.com name servers after 5 days
That's because the name servers have not been changed. You simply changed
the IP address that Register.com's name servers points that domain to.

> For example
> ns.newdream.net 207.155.127.155
> Is 207.155.127.155 the ip address?
Yes. In this case, it looks like the IP address for a name server.

> And is this therefore the same as ns.newdream.net ?
Not the same, but the physical address for that domain.

If this is a real example, then it would explain your trouble.
ns.newdream.net is probably a name server's address. If you entered (through
Register.com) another name server as the IP address, then it won't work. You
have to provide the actual IP for that specific domain (your client's).

Hope that helps,
matt g.