[thelist] English to Chinese Translation

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Mon Jan 28 11:25:07 CST 2002

Hi again peeps.
I have a question about character for english to chinese.

A company we have worked for are interested in adding some chinese text to
the site.
they sent through a word document with some chinese characters to see if I
can code with them.

I had to install the support for these characters with the MSoffice 2000
disk and now I can view these characters in word 2000 - I then saved this as
a webpage which converted these characters into code such as: 在
etc...

IE 6 and Netscape 6 also lets me view these charcters.

The issues is they dont work in IE4 or NS4 - even if you goto a page with
these characters in using an early browser and download the character
support, the webpage still views in jibberish. (www.china.com)

Is there a way around this - has anyone done a similar project before -
using chinese characters in HTML.

Many Thanks

Paul Backhouse
Technical