[thelist] Form Submittal on Enter

Andrew Clover and at doxdesk.com
Mon Jan 28 15:09:01 CST 2002

> perhaps you have a link to a document that contradicts this or provides
> further information?

[looks]

Hmm, you're right, it looks like my sources are somewhat antiquated:

  HTML 2.0 specification, section 8.2.

Look, it was *the* standard when I started writing for the web! ;-)

IE's behaviour is a bit strange, though, and in a way a relic of their
extension of this original behaviour. Namely: if you have more than one
input and submit the form by pressing enter, the first submit button is
'successful' and has its name/value pair included in the form submission.
If there was only one input, it isn't included. If there was more than
one input but no select button, the form won't submit at all.

--
Andrew Clover
mailto:and at doxdesk.com
http://and.doxdesk.com/