[thelist] differences in alt vs. title attributes and <h#> tags

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 16:14:00 CST 2002

> From: "MRC" <webmaster at equilon-mrc.com>
[...]
>     I would strenuously argue against using "text-decoration:
>     underline" for
> anything but a hyperlink. The association of underlined text with
> hyperlinking is very strong, even among (perhaps especially among)
> experienced web users. IMO, it's the equivalent of placing a submit
> button within a form that does nothing when clicked.

i would whole-heartedly agree... underlines are actually a hold-over
from when typewriters couldn't handle italic text...

don't use underlines on web pages anywhere but as links.... i say
very few things as absolutes, but there tends to be few exceptions
to this...

>     Instead, I'd suggest using a slightly smaller font size for your
>     H3s
> than for your H2s, or some other means of distinguishing your H3s from
> other heading levels that would avoid user confusion.
[...]

take a look at how evolt.org uses CSS on the <h1> - <h6>
elements...  progressively smaller until they hit the same size as
the body copy, then indenting...

so far this is my favorite method...

view-source:http://evolt.org/evolt/style/isaac.css

h1  {	font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
	font-size : 20px ;
	margin-bottom : 5px ; }

h2  {	font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
	font-size : 16px ; }

h3  {	font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
	font-size : 15px ; }

h4  {	font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
	font-size : 13px ; }

h5  {	font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
	font-size : 13px ;
	margin-left : 10px ; }

h6  {	font-family : Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif ;
	font-size : 13px ;
	margin-left : 20px ; }