[thelist] double space between sentences

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Wed Jan 30 00:57:00 CST 2002

Erik Mattheis wrote:
> Well, if a client wants it, it's a good reason ...

No. It's not. If the client wants it, it's up to you to find out why,
especially when it sounds weird like it does in this case.

> I plan to send Aardvark's article tomorrow and see if they still want
double spaces.

Umm. Ok. Aardvark's article actively promotes their use, so I doubt it'll
change their minds.

> >Most of the type faces in use are of a good quality (thanks primarily
> >to Microsoft's typographic efforts, I guess)
>
> Uh, is this a joke? One of the things I've hated about Winblows is
> the seemingly random kerning of the system fonts ... dunno, I've
> assumed I've just gotten used to it - hasn't pissed me off lately,
> perhaps Win 2K is better than NT4.

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/default.htm

You should be able to see why Verdana, as well as screen-optimized releases
of Arial, Times New Roman, and Courier are fantastic contributions to the
legibility of type online. Heck, they even offer it on Mac systems as well
as Windows. I have no bone to pick with Microsoft on this front whatsoever,
and believe me: I'm no MS fan. Matthew Carter deserves a big round of
applause for his efforts on that project, especially Verdana, and Rickner's
hinting is damned fine too.

Cheers
Andrew