[thelist] PHP/NN4: Using <?echo $PHP_SELF?> vs. <?$PHP_SELF?>

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Wed Jan 30 10:26:00 CST 2002

The first time I noticed this I figured I was nuts and there must be
something I'm missing...

When I use this:

	<form action="<?$PHP_SELF?>" method="post"...

I get the effect of having no form action at all in NN4. In fact when I view
source in NN4 using the above PHP, there is not action in the HTML output.
Seems to have no effect in IE5+.

However, when I use this:

	<form action="<?echo $PHP_SELF;?>" method="post"...

Both IE and NN work just fine. This seems odd to me since we are talking
about "server-side" code, right? Shouldn't there be no difference between
browsers since it is all parsed by the server then delivered to the client
afterward?

Am I nuts? What am I missing here?

BH