[thelist] Powerpoint on the web?

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at COMPAQ.com
Thu Jan 31 08:08:00 CST 2002

Hi Brian,

Fortunately I'm an 'Intranet' guy ... so I can leave things in
Powerpoint and not run into problems with my users.     ;-)

I can't help you with a conversion -- but as an interesting alternative
for future development and presentations you might want to check out the
*free* server-based application ["Wimpypoint"] put together by Phil
Greenspun, (MIT's database guru), and his buds at arsdigita:

http://wimpy.arsdigita.com/

I'd be a little leery of putting proprietary internal company numbers up
there - but it might be useful for sales presentations, technical
discussions, and a number of other uses.

{Ya know - I've *known* about this application for quite a while - but I
had never tried it myself until now!  It looks like an interesting start
on a project that could benefit from some further development.}

It will let you apply some stylesheets - [I picked 'blue'] - but I don't
think it lets you build them.  It's not all that flexible - basically
you can just make bullet point slides ... like this one I just put
together  [although there may be some other options I didn't see or play
with]:

http://wimpy.arsdigita.com/public/choose-author.adp

(I selected the radio button to make this one "publicly available".)

1) Pick my name or search for me.
2) Click on "Test Presentation #1".
3) Click on "Test for Evolt".

[Hmmm ... having looking this over a little bit it strikes me as
remarkably similar to the blog software I was playing with in PHP the
other day.  I don't think it would be too tough to put together
something like this in a server-side language and add the bells &
whistles that are important to you ... Now if I only had the time ...]

HTH,

RonL.
(I remembered 'Wimpypoint' - but couldn't think of the name - so it took
me a while to find the dang link again!)