[thelist] Legalities of "borrowing" images

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Jan 31 19:08:01 CST 2002

As far as you are concerned, you should have a clause in your
contract stating the the client owns the copyright or has permission
from the copyright owner for all content. I believe that in cases
like this, you would only be liable for contributory infringement if
you knowingly infringed on the copyright. (at least this is the
assumption I work under).

If this is a real situation and you suspect the client might not have
permission to use it, you might want to email the huge company's
legal dept and ask them if it's OK.

>A client wants the logo of a large corpration that they are partnered with
>on their web site. The client does not have said logo, and want me to get us
>off of the web somewhere. Well it's right their on the large companies
>website, why not just use that one?
>
>So does this mean using the large corporations logo without express
>permission, on my clients web site is in violation of copyright law?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/