[thelist] trojan

mark at markgroen.com mark at markgroen.com
Fri Feb 1 09:19:01 CST 2002

> Vic wrote:
>
> > BTW, I've already seen a couple of REs making reference to McAfee
> > Virusscan. I don't recommend it for several reasons.
>
> Could you elaborate a bit? Why would you not recommend McAfee?
>
> I have a special reason for asking since I've been a McAfee subscriber
> for quite awhile but just the other day got socked in the teeth when I
> did -two- scans for the MyParty virus. It did not pick it up ... and I
> had it!!!!!

I have my parents using McAfee, but I don't use any virus scanning for my
email what so ever. Instead, I use Pegasus Mail:
http://www.pmail.com As you have found out, virus scanners are only as
good as the updates, and those are almost *always* behind the actual virus
coming out into the wild. With Pegasus (also Eudora and The Bat AFAIK),
your emails are sandboxed until you open them, and even then they give you
the option of allowing only specific file extensions to run. GET AWAY FROM
M$ EMAIL, and most of your email worries are moot. Pegasus is free, The
Bat and Eudora have a few more features for people that are using the
software for mail merges, mass mailing, etc. and their cost is minimal.

HTH!

Mark
MG Web Services
Web Site Hosting and Development