[thelist] January stats for evolt.org

CodeBitch codebitch at macedition.com
Fri Feb 1 23:38:01 CST 2002

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>

<snip interesting stuff>

> on the browser side of things, MSIE based browsers were used 68.5% of
> the time when accessing evolt.org sites, followed by 13.8% being 'search
> engine spiders'(thanks for the help last month from our friends at
> MacEdition!), 10.4% of user-agents were Netscape based, with Opera
> rounding out the list with around 2.25% of user-agents. honroable
> mention to the brave souls using OmniWeb that accounted for just under a
> tenth of a percent of user-agents!

Glad to be of service. I strongly recommend adding the line
SUBBROW */*.*
to the analog.cfg file. This will help you distinguish between IE4, 5, 6
etc. I think the rapid uptake of IE6 and the slow uptake of Mozilla/NN6 has
been one of the more interesting stories of browser market share in recent
months. If the experience of some other sites is any guide, IE6 will already
have more than 20% of your human pageviews. It's 10% of MacEdition's, even
though only one-third of our human pageviews come from Windows boxes.

> the operating systems that people who visit evolt.org use is still
> dominated by Windows with around 72.25% of all requests coming from
> Windows based machines. oddly enough, windows XP isn't showing up in the
> stats, although i'm not sure if this is because no one using xp is
> visiting evolt (Very doubtfull), the log analyzer isn't set to pick up
> XP yet, or XP based browsers don't report themselves as XP. anyone else
> seeing this?

Analog didn't identify XP properly until version 5.1. This version also
picks up Konqueror and Galeon properly without any hacks from the config
file. It also separates out Netscape 6 from Mozilla. Well worth the upgrade.

I will be updating the manconfg file posted on the MacEdition site in the
next couple of days to add a couple more robots I've seen in the past month,
and to accommodate some changes in OmniWeb's browser string in the latest
sneaky peeks, plus a couple of regulars on MacEdition who use iCab with
custom user agent strings.

Statistically,
CodeBitch