[thelist] css behaviors

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Fri Feb 1 23:54:00 CST 2002

On Feb 2, rudy had something to say about Re: [thelist] css behaviors

>> <ol>
>> <li>first footnote</li>
>> <li>footnote corresponding to (2) above</li>
>> </ol>
>
>hi matt
>
>just in passing, i don't think you can nest a list inside a p

ya, that sounds right.

>>now, i want to add a behavior to the cite element that will be the
>>equivalent clicking an anchor to that last paragraph tag (or
>>thereabouts... if I *must* add an <a name=".."> tag there, I will).
>>
>>why don't i just make my footnotes links? i don't know, i just dont want
>>to... unless there's some compelling reason to do so.
>>
>>any help would be appreciated. let me know if i haven't explained my
>>problem well enough.
>
>yeah, i don't really understand what you want
>
>you said "add a behaviour" to the cite tag -- just what exactly is this
>behaviour supposed to do?  send you down to the footnotes?

yeah

>in that case, yes, use a plain old link

eww. that means:

1. i have to nest an anchor within a cite tag
2. i have to class/style that anchor so that i don't lose the styling i
have with the cite element

seriously, im not liking the idea of linked footnotes, even though i can't
really verbalize why.

what's wrong with using a behavior that changes the location to
page+"#footnotes" ? that way, i can cleanly go on making footnotes with
the cite element and i wont have something ugly like:

rather than:

<cite>(2)</cite>

hell, the footnote markup and text would probably be longer than the item
being footnoted.

>and don't forget your backlinks, from the footnote back up to where it came
>from

ah. so:

<cite><a name="foot2" href="#footnotes" title="See
Footnotes">(2)</a></cite>

which brings up a question, can i use the href and name attributes in the
same anchor element? gets even worse if i can't...

thanks for your help, rude.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com