[thelist] Why code for standards

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Sun Feb 3 15:26:00 CST 2002

> >If you try to use valid code in your project- why do you do so?
>
> I support standards and using valid code for many reasons (but I won't
> write my dissertation here). The bottom line, though, is that the industry
> needs standards. Standards are a base.

This is of course not a new concept, thank god for us, and it is worthwhile
to mention ISO. http://www.iso.org.

Their definition of standards can be found at:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/aboutiso/introduction/index.html

And their statement on why international standardization is necessary can be
found at:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/aboutiso/introduction/whyneeded.html

It would be interesting to form a committee to develop ISO standards for
browsers and web development, wouldn't it? Maybe scary, too...

Also interesting reading on standards (if you need some sleep) can be found
at ASTM International http://www.astm.org. Although their dealings are
mostly with manufacturing and industrial applications, much can be learned
about the nature of specifications, processes, standards and the creation of
standards by spending some time at their site.

BH