[thelist] Why code for standards

Yuriy work at avg-team.com
Mon Feb 4 06:07:01 CST 2002

Hello Joergen,

JR> You could ask them whether they want you as a customer or not? (yes, I know
JR> you don't just change to a different CMS system, but putting a little
JR> pressure on them doesn't hurt :))
Usually  you  can make any oppression on the developers, that's part of their
work to resist it. :)

JR> I personally wouldn't do bussiness with a company that stupid. If they make
JR> a CMS system that only works well with IE5, then they have a lot of work to
JR> do when IE7 is released and all their IE5 optimized code breaks.
Usually it works in a higher IE :).
What is about CMS i'm personally agree that creating CMS administrator's part
for  the different browsers is the not very important thing. Of course user's
side should work in both NN & IE but admin's part..

JR> What  is  the advantages of having a website that's not accessible to all
JR> people? No matter how few people aren't using IE, I have never understood
JR> why  people  see this as an advantage. What if *that* single person which
JR> couldn't  access  your site but couldn't, instead went to your competitor
JR> and made a huge order there.
For  developer's  companies  there  is the question in a time. Time is always
limited  by  the  site  budget. and optimizing of the admin's CMS for all the
browsers  it's  the  additional  time that costs. How much time it require is
depending   on   the  features  of CMS. So the question is in how much it was
offered to the developers.

JR> Personally,  I  sometimes  order  stuff  online and I know quite a lot of
JR> stores  that  have  lost  an  order from me (not big ones, but if lots of
JR> other  people  do  the  same...)  simply  because  their  website  wasn't
JR> accessible  in my browser of choice. If I get the door smacked in my face
JR> when I try to enter a store - I certainly don't order anything there!
Clients  should  told  to  the  developers their requirements.. Of course and
developers should warn in what browsers software will work :). If the clients
don't  know  what  do they need, then they have to order consulting services.

But in general, what is not promised is not necessary to do.

---
Best regards,
 Yuriy                                       mailto:work at avg-team.com
Business Development Manager                 icq uin:56144247

AVG-Team: Web Development Company            mailto:team at avg-team.com
Web development starts here                  http://www.avg-team.com/