[thelist] dynamic sites

Nicole Parrot nicole at parrot.ca
Mon Feb 4 07:33:00 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Price" <chris.price at stl.org>
> We have a company building a database around MS Access and contacts have
> been made with a company called Actinic to create the online shops.

Stay away from ms access and anyone recommending it! While Access does have
some good usage ( I do use it to host a fan fiction archive which has about
10 visitors a day), that's about its limits. Move to a stronger database.
And do it right from the start.

> I have heard some good reports about Coldfusion and I'm trying to figure
out
> what we'd need, in terms of software,  using an Apache server.

I can't give you advice on ColdFusion, having never used it. However, I code
in ASP, PHP and a bit of Perl. Anyone of these, and a decent database can be
used. Going the Microsoft route has the added advantage that you can access
your DB through the standard Microsoft tool, like Word and Excel, should you
have that need (which you may or may not have)
Going with PHP has the advantage of having a lot of choice for hosting, and
it's cheaper hosting too, most of the time.

Nicole