[thelist] Indexing and/or Query Optimisation in MySQL

John Handelaar john at userfrenzy.com
Mon Feb 4 08:39:01 CST 2002

Hello all,

Databases aren't really my strong point, so I've run into
something of a brick wall.

The problem:  I can't figure out how to add a useful index
for a query like this one:

SELECT UID, Title, Text, Subject, AgeRating, ReadTimes, StatusFlag, StorySet
	from stories
	where AgeRating IN ('U', 'PG', '12')
	ORDER BY Title;

I've tried adding a complex index on those columns in the
right order but it seems to have no effect on the time taken
to sort.  And the table now has >13,000 rows, so i *really*
need to index it properly :-)

Am I going wrong by trying to index the columns instead
of the WHERE and ORDER BY bits?

A suggested ALTER TABLE ADD INDEX command to add the right
index for this example would help enormously...

TIA

John Handelaar

T +44 20 7209 4117       M +44 7930 681789
F +44 870 169 7657   E john at userfrenzy.com