[thelist] SQL tools

Joel Lieberman joel_lieberman at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 4 13:09:08 CST 2002

Judah -

I do not recommend using third-party tools for
critical DBA activities with MSSQL7 or MSSQL2000.
This is because Microsoft tends to be careful to make
the use of third-party tools fairly unrewarding.

I would spend the time to get the MSSQL Enterprise
Manager software working properly.  Note that
MSSQL2000 tools are generally backward compatible with
MSSQL7, so if you use both, install the 2000
version.

If you have databases that need to be saved, use
sp_detach_db to cleanly dismount them, and copy the
.MDF files to a safe location.  Deinstall all traces
of the software and then start cleanly.

Use sp_attach_db to reattach your saved database
files.

I use Oracle and SQL Server daily and while I use some
third-party tools like Toad (for Oracle), I believe
the safest and best tools for Microsoft are the ones
that they supply with the product.

Good luck -

Joel Lieberman
--- Judah McAuley <judah at wiredotter.com> wrote:
> SQL Enterprise manager has managed to completely
> blow itself up on my
> computer.  No amount of
> uninstalling/reinstalling/registry hacking will
> make it run again.  So in my frustration, I've
> decided to see whether there
> are any good third-party tools out there for
> managing SQL databases.  I'm
> primarily using Microsoft SQL Server 7 and 2000,
but
> also do some
> occasional work with mysql and have pondered
trying
> postgresql.  In the
> past, I've worked with Sybase and Oracle.  So I'm
> looking for something
> that ideally would be pretty database agnostic but
> have knowledge of and
> support for database-specific features.
>
> Thus far I've been pointed to WinSQL
> (http://www.indus-soft.com/winsql/).  It looks
like
> a nice tool and the pro
> version is only $149.  I'm willing to pay some
money
> if it makes my life easy.
>
> Anyone have any other tools that they like for
their
> database tasks?  I'm
> running W2K professional and all my databases
reside