[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Bev Corwin bev at enso-company.com
Mon Feb 4 13:14:01 CST 2002

Dear Bill,

I agree in the concept of standards.  I certainly believe in quality
assurance and best business practices.  I do not, however, have any trust
that the current standards organizations have any concern or interests in
the small business, educational organizations or professional contractors.
In fact,  most of the current standards organizations are seated with only
members from larger corporations.  To me,  this is a serious conflict of
interest,  since of course, it creates an environment that is exclusive to
anyone not a member of these corporations.  Basically,  I'm opposed to
exclusive practices,  not to standards.  I have been studying standards
organizations closely for four years now,  and have yet to see one that
impresses me with anything but extensions of self serving corporate
interests.

Sincerely,
Bev