[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Bill Haenel bill at webmarketingworx.com
Mon Feb 4 13:37:00 CST 2002

> I do not, however, have any trust
> that the current standards organizations have any concern or interests in
> the small business, educational organizations or professional contractors.
> In fact,  most of the current standards organizations are seated with only
> members from larger corporations.
> Sincerely,
> Bev

I understand what you're saying, and I understand why. However, if the
standard itself is written by say, the W3C, and the directive to maintain it
is held by say, ISO or ASTM or some such previously existing entity, this
can be really functional for everyone.

I just read the W3C membership eligibility requirements and fees
(http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Prospectus/Joining#classes), and the cost to
small businesses, NFP's and such is fully 90% less than everyone else, and
in their words, "There are no differences in Member benefits between the two
classes of membership." You can get the lesser membership if you gross less
than $US 50,000,000 annually.

Now, take that entity (W3C) as a professional org that writes meaningful
standards and mix it with one that maintains and monitors compliance, and
you have a winning combination. The example that floated through here
yesterday (http://www.cs.tcd.ie/15445/15445.html) was very inspiring to me
because it did just that. The problem with it is that nobody HAS to follow
it.

BH