[thelist] authorizeNet not supporting NS 6+

muinar muinar at gmx.net
Mon Feb 4 14:24:03 CST 2002

Hello listees

If someone considers using AuthorizeNet for their credit card
transactions, unfortunately you exclude NS 6+ users from your
services... yes that's true.

Why? AuthorizeNet requires that the browser sends a referer.
And NS 6.2 doesn't send any referer. Technical support says 'It's
industry standard for browsers to send a referer. It would mean
that we had to change our gateway system because of the change
of a browser.'

Unfortunately I didn't know before I signed up with PlanetPayment
(who use AuthorizeNet for their gateway). Disappointed, after
throwing in large amounts of dev time for that gateway connection.

Someone mentioned that the referer can be hacked. This begins to
look like an interesting option. Is it possible to make that gateway
think that it gets a referer?

(Or is it actually a requirement that no payment gateway can live
without, because non-members would use your gateway for their
transactions from outside?)

____ mike s. krischker    http://muinar.com/
      flashpro community   http://muinar.org/