[thelist] CMS in ASP

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Tue Feb 5 08:38:01 CST 2002

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Depends on your perspective.

If you're a software vendor, then yes, it's probably possible.

If you're a user of CMS, I really wouldn't go down that route. Depending
on a number of factors, including:
1) Where you're likely to be and what you're likely to need in 18 months'
time
2) What your budgets are, not only for licenses, but also development and
   redevelopment are
you'll either go in quick'n'dirty now and redevelop your system in 12
months'
time in A.N.Other tool (but hey, at least a fair amount of the design work
is
done) or you'll go for something which will give you the headroom to grow
into your future needs.

Of course, no matter which route you choose, you'll need to redevelop at
*some* point, it's just a question of 'how soon'. Usually the answer tends
to have a flavour of "not in this budget year".

Without knowing your needs, my feeling for a relatively cheap yet effective
general solution would be either Zope or Spectra.

Raymond - now that Spectra has been left to wither somewhat, what's the
chances of it following the lead of Zope into OpenSource? (recognising that
the source in question is CF, so you still get revenues)

Cheers
Martin

To:   "'thelist at lists.evolt.org'" <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
Subject:  RE: [thelist] CMS in ASP

|> I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Atomz - it's a
|> weekly scheduled spider, but you can kick off a manual one
|> at any point.
|>
|> It gives you a lot of control in other areas too.
|>
|> Cheers
|> Martin

I like Atomz; been using them since WebMonkey first endorsed them.

But, back to the subject line: is it feasible for a sane person to create a
home-grown CMS to meet the current modest needs, and then grow it into a
more robust tool, or is it a foregone conclusion that 18 months from now
we'll be spending $40,000 - $100,000US on a CMS package?

behalf of PricewaterhouseCoopers.

telecommunications systems.
computer.