[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Tue Feb 5 09:57:00 CST 2002

>Seems like if someone really wanted to get involved, but could not afford
>do so on one's own, it would be worthwhile to get others who are in the
same
>boat together to form an NFP that would collectively have the human,
>financial and other resources to do so. Plus, as a group, they'd have a
>better chance at organized missions, objectives and thoughts.

evolt's a possibility. HTML Writers Guild and Win Writers are already
there. So is IEEE (interesting that ACM isn't, I would have expected at
least one or two of the SIGs being members). STC (a technical writer's
organization) is there as well.

Actually the membership lists makes fascinating reading -- Schneider
Electric? Grainger? To me completely unexpected, but I understand their
presence. Also Jasc software (at 125 employess, hardly a BigCo). And the
London Metropolitan Police? Massachusetts Medical Society? Some real
interesting (in this context) names pop up.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

Arlen.P.Walker at JCI.Com