[thelist] ASP question: the string is too long for the pulldown menu

P. Z. cliverping at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 15:19:03 CST 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
Hi everyone!
I tried but I couldn't find the answer in the archive.  So here is the
question:

I am working on an ASP page.  The database is Access.  I pulled out all the
keywords from the database and put them into a pull-down menu, which are all
the keywords for some projects. Some of the strings are really long (don't ask
me why the keywords are so long), they are longer than my table width (I can't
change the design at this stage).  So I used "Left(rs("keyword"),80)" function
to cut the string.  But I have a problem here: I don't want the last word to
be cut in half.  What I like is that the user should be able to see the
complete last word such as "policy" instead of "poli".  I know I can search
for the nearest space after position 80, but is there any other way to handle
this?  Any suggestions?  How do you set the width of a pull-down menu? Can
you?

Thank you for any help.
Z.P.