[thelist] Re: Why code for standards

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Wed Feb 6 11:49:01 CST 2002

>Ideally, to represent the point of view of web developers in creating
>standards and to prevent strange, unimportant or unrealistic details from
>cropping up in new standard documents so that standards created for the
WWW
>will address common concerns of the web developers actually using the
>standards.

Don't forget to do a little marketing, too. Explain why this group will
better answer those needs than WinWriters, or The HTML Writers Guild, or
the IEEE or any of the other groups which are doing much the same thing
(you'll have some overlap with the STC and the Webmasters Guild, but not as
much, I think; HWG is probably the main "competition"). Probably shouldn't
be in the mission statement, but it should be able to be clearly derived
from it.

Don't count me as against the group, I'm in favor of folks forming as many
groups, professional and trade associations, and fellowships as they feel
necessary (I think I'm the first member of my family in nearly a century
that doesn't belong to a union of some kind). I'm just suggesting you get
some answers ready for the natural questions that will arise as the group
forms and starts to look for members.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224