[thelist] RE: Re: Proposal - New Specific List

Ben Gustafson Ben_Gustafson at lionbridge.com
Wed Feb 6 12:44:00 CST 2002

Daniel J. Cody wrote:

> this is really my only concern.. is there enough of an interest(longer
> term) to do this kind of thing? if so, i don't see any problem with
> creating a new list if some of you want to give it a whirl :)
>
> one thing i'd recommend though would be one or two people to
> 'moderate'(in a *very* loose sense) a new list like that. not to
> moderate the posts or anything, but maybe introduce a weekly topic for
> discussion and to keep the conversation moving along.

I'm in on subscribing, but I'm not as knowledgeable as many others on
standards and the other hot-button issues to serve as moderator, so I guess
I owe a tip:

<tip type="Dynamic JavaScript">
Using ASP, PHP or other middleware to dynamically generate your JavaScript
opens up another level of possibilities for client-server communication.
A simple ASP example is:

	<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.2"><!--
		var userID = "<%=userID%>"
	//--></SCRIPT>

You can then use your server-side code to keep track of sessions, and pass
the info to the JavaScript. This would, of course, work for any other
server-side variables you'd like to pass to client-side JavaScript. Another
example is dynamically creating image preloading script by using the File
System Object to access the contents of a folder, and then looping through
the object to get the file names. That way, when you add or delete an image,
the preload script is automatically updated.
</tip>

I'll post an example of ASP script for dynamically generating image preload
JavaScript if anyone's interested.

--Ben