[thelist] Site check

MRC webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Wed Feb 6 14:55:02 CST 2002

Bill,

> Could someone check http://billb.his.com/mg_web.htm to see if they get any
> errors in IE5+ or NN6+.  I did not get any errors, but my client gets a
> scripting error when he opens the site and none of the JS code works.

    You didn't ask for this, but it's one of my pet peeves, so I feel duty
bound to tell you. :) The actual dimensions of the photograph on the home
page (350 x 262) are considerably larger than the apparent dimensions (125 x
94). This means that you are requiring site visitors to download
considerably more bytes than are required by the presentation of the image,
and it usually results in a poorer-looking image because it forces the
browser to resize it on the fly.
    My recommendation: resize the image in Photoshop or another
image-editing package to the size required by your page layout. Better yet,
run it through ImageReady or Fireworks to optimize it even further.
    And add an alt attribute to your img element while you're at it...
    My two cents.

James Aylard