[thelist] Confused about what HTML Validation is telling me

Eric Vitiello evolt at perceive.net
Thu Feb 7 15:19:10 CST 2002

-- Bob Boisvert [Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:12:37 -0500]:
>I'm a little confused about what the HTML Validation is telling me at
>www.w3c.org it seems to be picking on all the JavaScript tags below.

also, here are a few DTDs:

HTML 4.0, Transitional

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/loose.dtd">

XHTML 1.0 Transitional

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

the second one is essentially the most current, and you should be using.

Transitional document types include some necessary elements to allow for better backwards compatibility with older browsers, yet allow you to use the latest updated standards.

---
Eric Vitiello
Perceive Designs
<www.perceive.net>